Ross Sullivan in Santa Cruz

Ross Sullivan Discussion

Re: Ross Sullivan in Santa Cruz

Postby morf13 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:52 pm

doranchak wrote:The store's Halloween ad (Source: Santa Cruz Sentinel (Santa Cruz, California) · Thu, Oct 22, 1970 · Page 12):

Cards and cut outs? Just in time to put together Avery's halloween card (Oct 27, 1970)?

Wow, another good find :o

The issue, as far as Ross is concerned, is the likelihood of him travelling all the way from Santa Cruz to Vallejo to do the Z attacks.
morf13
Site Admin

Postby Norse » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:56 pm

Shame they didn't run the ad earlier. He could have used one of those Hallowe'en bags for LB. Multi-functional, you'd think. Use it for a mask, then use it to carry your gear as you slip away.

I love the Mikado ad, by the way: "...an ugly, elderly maiden will be played by Mike Walsh." That's as "colorful" as the operetta itself, if not more. I wonder if "Brother O' Connell" caught the sarcasm of it all. Would be, let's say, delightful if he didn't - and thought it was some kind of moralistic production.
Norse

Postby morf13 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:05 pm

Wonder if they carried monarch size paper?
morf13
Site Admin

Postby morf13 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:27 pm

By the way, I had corresponded previously with Darlene's husband via email(years ago), and I recently emailed him again to see if he happened to know Ross in any way from his Santa Cruz days, and he didn't respond
morf13
Site Admin

Postby ophion1031 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:12 pm

The Charles Henning I found was from somewhere a little north of Vallejo IIRC. I will have to look again. If these guys and Ross were all friends and committing burglaries, maybe they went to that area to commit crimes as well.
Dropping bodies in their graves.
ophion1031

Postby Seagull » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:18 pm

morf13 wrote:By the way, I had corresponded previously with Darlene's husband via email(years ago), and I recently emailed him again to see if he happened to know Ross in any way from his Santa Cruz days, and he didn't respond

I take it you mean Phillips/Crabtree, not Dean??
Seagull

Postby Paul_Averly » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:25 pm

doranchak wrote:Ok, that is very interesting. One of the ads mentions they sell "Zodiac" stationery!

Source: Santa Cruz Sentinel, 20 Jul 1969, Sun, Page 20

When did he start using the name Zodiac? The August 4th 1969 letter? That's only a few weeks after that ad ran. :shock:

Good finds!

Here is a photo of that Zodiac Stationary:
http://www.bermuda-triangle.org/assets/ ... 3585-2.gif

http://www.bermuda-triangle.org/html/th ... ile_i.html
Paul_Averly

Postby Seagull » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:44 pm

I went back to the Santa Cruz Polk's Directory for 1968 and looked up the address where Ross lived. The building had three apartments then, as it does now. Ross was not listed as living at that address but they do not put multiple people's names in the address directory portion. As has been said previously in the thread, Ross probably had a roommate in order to be able to afford living there.

It looks like Terry Kennedy may have been Ross's roommate.

Ross Sullivan 2nd St. apt.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Seagull

Postby morf13 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:05 pm

Seagull wrote:
morf13 wrote:By the way, I had corresponded previously with Darlene's husband via email(years ago), and I recently emailed him again to see if he happened to know Ross in any way from his Santa Cruz days, and he didn't respond

I take it you mean Phillips/Crabtree, not Dean??

yeah,sorry, I meant to say EX-Husband
morf13
Site Admin

Postby traveller1st » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:05 pm

Paul_Averly wrote:BTW, there was a stationary store in Santa Cruz a very short walk from Ross's place.

SC_Store.jpg

Remember, Katz mentioned Ross was into "art painting." Considering how close he lived, the odds are very high he would shop at this place.

More than the "art" aspect it's also good to note that they carried drafting supplies. I'm specifically thinking about the materials possibly used to construct the ciphers.
"I don’t know Chief, he’s very smart or very dumb."
traveller1st

PreviousNext

Return to Ross Sullivan