New Lead in EAR/ONS case

Discussion of crimes & cases NOT RELATED to the Zodiac Killer

Re: New Lead in EAR/ONS case

Postby AK Wilks » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:30 pm

AK Wilks

Postby traveller1st » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:03 pm

AK Wilks wrote:http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Detectives-Seek-Original-Night-Stalker-225912121.html

I see they are claiming the map is of a neighbourhood in Goleta. I looked but haven't found it. The general layout around Lake Los Carneros Park seems to match generally but not any of the details on the map.
"I don’t know Chief, he’s very smart or very dumb."
traveller1st

Postby AK Wilks » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:16 am

traveller1st wrote:
AK Wilks wrote:http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Detectives-Seek-Original-Night-Stalker-225912121.html

I see they are claiming the map is of a neighbourhood in Goleta. I looked but haven't found it. The general layout around Lake Los Carneros Park seems to match generally but not any of the details on the map.

Trav did you read the post by jigisup on the EAR/ONS board or come to that idea about Lake Los Carneros independently?

Do you think I have the correct orientation?

ImageImage
AK Wilks

Postby traveller1st » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:12 am

AK Wilks wrote:Trav did you read the post by jigisup on the EAR/ONS board or come to that idea about Lake Los Carneros independently?

Do you think I have the correct orientation?

ImageImage

Independently AK. I was watching/listening to the video on the link you posted and my ears pricked up when the detective said that the map was a carbon copy of an area he'd stalked in Goleta. I just went straight to Google Earth and LLC is pretty hard to miss once you arrive there.

Yes, you have the right orientation IMO. As I said though it fits roughly but it just doesn't hold up to detailed scrutiny. The lake is the wrong shape for one but there's other details in the hand drawn map that I can't find. That said, this is the closest I've seen so far but with comments like 'carbon copy' I would like to find a much better match.
traveller1st

Postby smithy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:50 am

I don't know diddley about the EAR/ONS. I've got a lot of questions....
How was this map drawn do we think? Traced over an original planning diagram or something? Copied from an aerial photo? (It's a long way "up", that view.)
Since there was no Google earth, this guy spent an awful long time putting this together. Why produce it at all if you've got the original material to copy from? Just to put heavy black marks over that one "house" off-centre at the upper right, there? Do we know all the attack sites to view them from above in Google? I'm guessing we don't, or you guys would have done.

On the sketch map, there are a lot of houses which look a generic shape (except for that big featured area in the top left, on the hill. A school? University? It's a local landmark alright, that complex of buildings) - and the houses around that blacked-out one.
Which of us could draw the roof shapes of a place like that "school" without knowing it very very well or looking at a photo btw? (Which is where I came in.)

FWIW I don't think you've matched the location, unless that section of 101 is new - and even then, it's not all that close, really.
There's a major road running across the top of the sketch (I believe) which might be a good one to look for.
Isn't it interesting he bothered to put those "rivers" in, in so much detail? (If that IS a lake, and not the mother of all skate parks.)
Last: Which house would you be choosing to target, out of all those on the map? I certainly wouldn't choose that black one. I'd be right up on the periphery of the area, out at the end of a road, I think. (Perhaps the punishment was in some way personal?)
smithy

Postby traveller1st » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:24 am

My feelings as well smithy on several points.
traveller1st

Postby smithy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:53 am

Great minds and all that, Trav.
Also seems to me that there might have been construction still going on, at the time. The roads (and little roundabouts) at the right don't have any houses around them. The similar roads at the bottom have "activity" going on around them, but those aren't finished houses. So was construction going on, during the period? (He's compulsive enough to have drawn them in if they were finished I think, as he did other features on the map which weren't perhaps central to what he was doing.)
BTW yeah of course, it's another construction worker. Always is. I bet he had paint on his watch, too....

Edit: Well, I finally watched the vid. I'm pleased I at least figured out that it was under construction, that area on his map.
So that's supposed to be a strip mall? That's odd. I'll go read up on EAR/ONS - it's a slow day.....
smithy

Postby smithy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:55 am

Found this very interesting. Please excuse the 2x post.
http://earonsgsk.proboards.com/thread/3 ... rollTo=360
smithy

Postby AK Wilks » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:27 pm

Smithy and Trav - Yes very interesting. Something is going on in this hand drawn map that is weird - like he is basing part of it on Lake Los Carneros and part on something else, potential construction or another area.

Map in Goleta/Santa Barbara County showing scene of murders of Dr. Offerman and Dr. Manning and scene of Domingo - Sanchez murders:

Above here how close in Goleta - Santa Barbara County the Offerman - Manning murder was to the Domingo - Sanchez murder. And the Domingo - Sanchez murder was just minutes from Gaviota Beach, the site of the 1963 Domingos - Edwards murder!

We have a killer here like the shark in "Jaws" - he is expressing terroritoriality.

The ONS is saying "I can kill where ever I want. I can kill someone, then come back to the exact same neighborhood, just a block away, and kill someone else, and you can't stop me. Catch me if you can...but you can't. I am too smart."

Very much like, IMO, to the first 3 Zodiac murders - similar close distances!

These are the two Goleta murder scenese and Lake Los Carneros.

AK Wilks

Postby Tahoe27 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:56 pm

AK Wilks wrote:
traveller1st wrote:

This reminds me of the layouts/mini-replicas they would have in a model home when showing new houses.

When I was little, my Dad used to take us to new housing subdivisions and we'd walk through all the model homes. He used to say it motivated him.

They would have on a big table, a miniature community. An aerial view just like the sketch. There would be streets, houses (like little monopoly pieces), trees, etc.

The detail...the box shapes on top of the buildings (a/c units?), the detail of the roads in the upper-left hand corner. This is very precise to a specific community.

This got me wondering if the EAR had access to something like this long enough to sketch it out? Maybe even a security guard watching over the model homes?

When you consider he could have been involved in (new?) construction, painting new model homes, etc., this would make sense...he was there involved...wherever this was. I don't think the Goleta location is the right one.

"...they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs--other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac's doorstep." L.A. Times, 1969
Tahoe27

PreviousNext

Return to NON-Zodiac Crimes