BTK word search puzzle

Discussion of crimes & cases NOT RELATED to the Zodiac Killer

BTK word search puzzle

Postby doranchak » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:18 am

An article about finding words in the BTK word search puzzle:

http://www.zodiackillerciphers.com/?p=454
User avatar
doranchak
 
Posts: 1730
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:26 am

Re: BTK word search puzzle

Postby entropy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:31 am

Cool stuff! I never noticed the "filler" aspect of this puzzle but that certainly seems to be the case. I'm skeptical about the use of anagrams or attempts to encode other secret words or messages. I honestly think that the word search was Rader's best effort at emulating Zodiac and that he probably couldn't anagram his way out of a paper bag. FYI, the speculation about P.J. Wyatt turned out to be a red herring. "PJ" was Rader's personal code word for a "project", which he called potential victims and assigned them various "project names".
entropy
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:59 am

Re: BTK word search puzzle

Postby traveller1st » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:04 am

Yes the filler stuff seems pretty compelling.

I wasn't giving very much thought to this. It's just something that realised looking at it. I'm not completely up on past discussions anywhere regarding this particular puzzle so apologies if this has been covered. It bugs me that the numbers are out of alignment. I could see from just looking at it that they are out of alignment as a whole group. i.e not random dispersion.

Here they are shifted back into alignment. I just lifted them as a complete group, retaining position and spacing and moved them left back into alignment with the columns. Might be useful for visual reference?

word-puzzle-nos-align.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image
"I don’t know Chief, he’s very smart or very dumb."
User avatar
traveller1st
 
Posts: 2907
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:08 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: BTK word search puzzle

Postby entropy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:49 am

The numbers aren't random either. 6220 was Rader's street address, which along with "D. Rader" in the puzzle might have at least made somebody scratch their head if someone (like his wife) already had suspicions. 259 is the number for Wichita Public Schools. 316 is a Wichita area code, which lead some to believe that the rest of the numbers might indicate a phone number (316-268-2043). I seem to recall that being registered to a local hospital but my memory might be a little fuzzy.

Again, this puzzle was never actually released to the public until BTK was captured. Most of it was picked up by an astute poster in a discussion forum like this and posted on-line. Wichita P.D. had already concluded that it was a simple word search and of no value to the investigation. To me, it stands as a good example of why this kind of stuff SHOULD be made public. It may not have helped but then again someone may have recognize something of note in the content or construction of the puzzle. Instead, they chose to publicize BTK's stated autobiography, which was a bunch of crap and rapidly led to the arrest of an innocent man.

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/1527 ... vice=phone
entropy
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:59 am

Re: BTK word search puzzle

Postby Tahoe27 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:01 pm

entropy wrote:The numbers aren't random either. 6220 was Rader's street address, which along with "D. Rader" in the puzzle might have at least made somebody scratch their head if someone (like his wife) already had suspicions. 259 is the number for Wichita Public Schools. 316 is a Wichita area code, which lead some to believe that the rest of the numbers might indicate a phone number (316-268-2043). I seem to recall that being registered to a local hospital but my memory might be a little fuzzy.

Again, this puzzle was never actually released to the public until BTK was captured. Most of it was picked up by an astute poster in a discussion forum like this and posted on-line. Wichita P.D. had already concluded that it was a simple word search and of no value to the investigation. To me, it stands as a good example of why this kind of stuff SHOULD be made public. It may not have helped but then again someone may have recognize something of note in the content or construction of the puzzle. Instead, they chose to publicize BTK's stated autobiography, which was a bunch of crap and rapidly led to the arrest of an innocent man.

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/1527 ... vice=phone


I just got chills when I reads this. It creeps me out...
Image

"...they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs--other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac's doorstep." L.A. Times, 1969
User avatar
Tahoe27
 
Posts: 4392
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:13 pm

Re: BTK word search puzzle

Postby entropy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:31 pm

Which part, Tahoe? I think part of Wichita P. D.'s motivation for not releasing this stuff was that they did not want to exacerbate the fear that existed in the area at the time. I suppose some of the stuff in the puzzle would remind everyone that he was still in the area, still potentially stalking and could be just about any older male. His communications sought to foster that fear of him as an omnipresent bogeyman. There's no doubt that BTK was a scary presence in the community, especially for women.

It's my belief, however, that they erred on the side of shielding the public by providing far too little actual information. Sure, they requested help from the public but what is the public supposed to base suspicions on when they are given little or no information? I've mentioned before that WPD even opted not to acknowledge a letter sent by BTK long after many people believed he had either died or left the community. That, IMHO, borders in being irresponsible.
entropy
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:59 am

Re: BTK word search puzzle

Postby Tahoe27 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:51 pm

entropy wrote:Which part, Tahoe? I think part of Wichita P. D.'s motivation for not releasing this stuff was that they did not want to exacerbate the fear that existed in the area at the time. I suppose some of the stuff in the puzzle would remind everyone that he was still in the area, still potentially stalking and could be just about any older male. His communications sought to foster that fear of him as an omnipresent bogeyman. There's no doubt that BTK was a scary presence in the community, especially for women.

It's my belief, however, that they erred on the side of shielding the public by providing far too little actual information. Sure, they requested help from the public but what is the public supposed to base suspicions on when they are given little or no information? I've mentioned before that WPD even opted not to acknowledge a letter sent by BTK long after many people believed he had either died or left the community. That, IMHO, borders in being irresponsible.


Sorry entropy--

Just the way he used the numbers that were familiar to him. The street addresss, the school, area code. It's just creepy. I guess it makes sense for one to use something familiar. It's all just so psychotic...
Image

"...they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs--other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac's doorstep." L.A. Times, 1969
User avatar
Tahoe27
 
Posts: 4392
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:13 pm

Re: BTK word search puzzle

Postby doranchak » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:10 am

A contributor offers his analysis of the BTK word puzzle: http://www.zodiackillerciphers.com/?p=499
User avatar
doranchak
 
Posts: 1730
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:26 am

Re: BTK word search puzzle

Postby djdividian » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:10 pm

After doranchak posted my BTK puzzle analysis I came across this forum. Traveller, you might want to take a look at my work, especially concerning the odd placement of the numbers.
djdividian
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:01 am

Re: BTK word search puzzle

Postby traveller1st » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:59 pm

djdividian wrote:After doranchak posted my BTK puzzle analysis I came across this forum. Traveller, you might want to take a look at my work, especially concerning the odd placement of the numbers.


Yes I saw that dj. TBH I'm not mathematically minded in anyway shape or form and most cipher stuff goes over my head but that's never stopped me lol. I will need to re-read your analysis quite a few times before it makes sense to me and even then it probably won't be in the way it's supposed to make sense. The numbers thing did however catch my attention. I think because, quite recently I was musing about the possibility that numbers were used in the 340 ie dates, addresses or whatever and maybe that's what throwing us? Thanks for the suggestion because it might help me concentrate and learn something lol.

P.S. I've also got a mind like a sieve when it comes to certain things. I've just looked back over this thread and had forgotten I'd posted the puzzle with the numbers re-aligned. :roll:
Image
"I don’t know Chief, he’s very smart or very dumb."
User avatar
traveller1st
 
Posts: 2907
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:08 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Next

Return to NON-Zodiac Crimes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron