The letters were not mailed from the United States!

The letters were not mailed from the United States!

Postby YourSecretPal » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:34 pm

Help me prove or disprove my theory!
If we can prove it, it may be case closed...

The first 3 letters at least we're not mailed as normal. They were either placed in incoming mail from their origination or dropped off at The San Francisco International Airport.

That's why the extra postage. He wanted to make sure they were still delivered.
That's why they all have the Discover America machine cancel.
Yet have different processing destination marks. Like A1.

He knew this.
He had time to plan these first letters out. So he used his favorite widely available paper.
He knew he was traveling to the US in a few days.

He knew this gave him a Near perfect alibi. (I wasn't even in the country)

The next letter (envelope & postage unknown) was hurried in response to their requests for more info. This was possibly even written on the plane. Different paper, not his favorite.
YourSecretPal

Re: The letters were not mailed from the United States!

Postby Tahoe27 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:12 pm

Interesting observation. I cannot tell you whether they were mailed from out of the country or not, but the first three do seem to have been mailed from the same location (and probably the same time frame) if we consider that "Discover America" stamp--like you mention. It is certainly unique to those three letters. I did a quick search and cannot find out anything about that stamp...yet.

"...they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs--other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac's doorstep." L.A. Times, 1969
Tahoe27

Postby Soze » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:52 pm

It's the federal government's promotion of the "discover America program" created by Johnson in 1966. Tourism was lagging.

Soze
Soze

Postby Tahoe27 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:52 pm

Found a Discover America cancellation stamp from 1966. Was hoping they might have been exclusive to a place or time...apparently not.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"...they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs--other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac's doorstep." L.A. Times, 1969
Tahoe27

Postby Soze » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:13 pm

Time: no earlier than 66. Don't know that they have ever really stopped except for maybe brief stints.

Location: I could be wrong but i don't think you will ever find one unless they started highlighting specific points of travel. The discover America program was really about parks; national parks.

Soze
Soze

Postby YourSecretPal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:43 am

The campaign was used in National Parks and Airlines as I've seen on a few postcards from the era.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YourSecretPal

Postby Soze » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:48 am

I apologize. I didn't realize it's impact until you mentioned it. But, yeah, airlines too. You can't promote tourism of national parks without promoting mode of travel. That would explain why I saw a promotion for buses last night.

Given the Zodiac's letter writing campaign, his attention to media I should say (newspapers & television), how would this promotion of tourism tie together the other? Can we place him in the media field and does this point towards a specific location?

Last night when I was reading I kept seeing a mention of Stewart Udall tied to Discover America. Wasn't Udall a member of the Sierra Club? Asking. I haven't looked yet.

Soze
Soze

Postby Tahoe27 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:22 am

How would Zodiac know what cancellation stamp would be used? Am I missing something here?

Tahoe27

Postby YourSecretPal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:02 pm

That I bet he didn't know, but he knew if he placed letters into inbound US Mail or dropped them off at the San Francisco Airport post office, they couldn't be traced.
YourSecretPal

Postby Mr lowe » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:14 pm

Tahoe27 wrote:How would Zodiac know what cancellation stamp would be used? Am I missing something here?

howsabout he worked in the postal industry and had access and knowledge. just his style leaving clues like the photocopy of post ofice box keys, air mail, double stamping
A killer we sort stood there among the dead
Mr lowe

Next

Return to Zodiac Theories