May 8, a connection to Zodiac?

Re: May 8, a connection to Zodiac?

Postby Tahoe27 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:25 am

Not so sure I'd put too much into Zodiac calling a Kmart, but hey...you never know. :)

"...they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs--other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac's doorstep." L.A. Times, 1969
Tahoe27

Postby Soze » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:27 am

Is that what the news was about on the 16th?

Soze
Soze

Postby Druzer » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:01 pm

According to Graysmith the Santa Rosa K-Mart bomb threat happened on May 8, 1970. RG also said that exactly one year earlier that Zodiac had made a previous Santa Rosa bomb threat. This Oct 15 threat may be the closest match to his claim.

Unless something has been misinterpreted here I think it is pretty extraordinary that someone (in Santa Rosa no less) was "hinting" to be Zodiac and threatening school children (let alone a specific school bus bomb) before the Zodiac's threat was revealed. My skeptical guess I suppose is that we will discover that the full contents of the letter were published earlier.
Druzer

Postby Soze » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:23 pm

There are all kinds of nut jobs. One could of woke up that morning and took the zodiac persona for a day. Given that the caller mentioned a bomb towards children, given it was within days of the zodiac writing of a bomb towards children and, given we have found no earlier record of the bomb being discussed in the news that early, I would venture to say the caller was the nut job we speak about on a daily basis. The question here is: why Santa rosa and why that day?

Soze
Soze

Postby Tahoe27 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:36 pm

Someone didn't want to go to work that day. :?

"...they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs--other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac's doorstep." L.A. Times, 1969
Tahoe27

Postby Seagull » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:16 am

Newspapers.com now has the Santa Rosa Press Democrat digitized at their website and can be accessed if you have the premium subscription. If there was a bomb threat at Kmart on May 8 1970 it did not make the news. I tried various search words and looked for the entire year in case Graysmith was mistaken about the date. I suppose it's possible, though not likely, that the threat was kept out of the news. If the store was evacuated, as Graysmith claims, it's hard to believe that it would not have made the news. If the threat had occurred when the store was closed it would have been easier to keep quite about the threat.

Using the search words "bomb threat", leaving out Kmart, there were 31 hits. All but one of those hits were regarding bomb threats in locations other than Santa Rosa or Sonoma County. The one bomb threat that was in Santa Rosa was a call made by three junior high school aged girls on October 30 1970 saying there was a bomb at Santa Rosa Junior High School. It was a prank call.

There were seven hits for "bomb threat" in 1969.

January 12 1969 the student body president of Solano Junior College in Vallejo stepped down because he couldn't take the pressure shortly before a bomb threat was telephoned into the school.

March 10 1969 the Healdsburg school district trustees discussed bomb threat procedures for the school district. There was also another article the following day March 11 1969 that included the same information.

There were three specific bomb threats in Sonoma County in 1969.

Bomb threat Petaluma 6-30-69.png

Bomb threat Cloverdale 8-29-69.png

MGM manufactured brakes, not rakes!

Bomb threat Sonoma State 11-16-69.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Seagull

Postby Druzer » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:10 pm

morf13 wrote:Not sure if this was posted yet, but here's details on the 1970 Bomb threat, have not found anything about 1969 yet

Hi Seagull, not sure if you saw this earlier post from Morph, but it seems RG was at least right about the May 8, 1970 kmart threat. Why he stated that there was a threat on the same day a year earlier in Santa Rosa is still a mystery.
Druzer

Postby Druzer » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:13 pm

Sorry about that, I tried to repost the newspaper article morph put on page 3 of this thread but I must have screwed up. At any rate the article seems like proof of the may 8 1970 threat.
Druzer

Postby Seagull » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:30 pm

Druzer, you're correct, I did not see the article that Morf posted. Weird that it only appeared in the Long Beach CA newspaper and not in the local newspaper. I wasn't able to find it in any other newspapers either.
Seagull

Postby Seagull » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:22 pm

Well, the Santa Rosa KMart is no more. It was lost to fire this morning. The entire shopping center was lost as well as hundreds of homes and businesses.

KMart Santa Rosa burning 10-9-17.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Seagull

PreviousNext

Return to Zodiac Theories