Upcoming Zodiac Killer movie

Re: Upcoming Zodiac Killer movie

Postby mrman7 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:50 pm

Just watched this flick on DVD. It was about as bad as I expected. In the "making of" documentary on the disc, the director talks about all the research he put into writing the script. I'm not sure what he was researching but it certainly didn't help the accuracy of the production. The cinematography was actually pretty good --- nice lightning and some moody scenes --- but the acting and writing were excruciatingly bad and not in the fun way like "The Room" or "Plan 9 From Outer Space." I did like how the film delved into the rumor that Zodiac filmed his killings and the stuff with the cipher was okay. They also did a decent job recreating the executioner-style hood from the Berryessa stabbing. In the end, the film could have been an effective thriller or even a fun campy slasher movie but it fails to deliver in both areas. One interesting note is that in the first scene, the killer gets stabbed in the ankle by one of the victims. Is this a possible reference to the oft-disputed "limp" or "shuffling lope" from the Stine shooting? Worth watching for Zodiac pop culture completionists but wait until it's streaming on Netflix or something.
mrman7

Postby Zresearch » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:03 am

Tahoe27 wrote:Yep. You can watch it right now on Amazon Prime. Kindle...PS4...Roku...etc.

I have already downloaded it and will be watching it tonight!

https://smile.amazon.com/Awakening-Zodi ... ing+zodiac

Really? I have amazonfire television and I am also an amazon prime member, so does this mean I can just search for it, and watch it, through my videos on Amazon?

It doesn't sound like it is going to be all that great, but who knows, I actually liked the fincher film.
Zresearch

Postby Zresearch » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:05 am

ophion1031 wrote:I watched it for free on the Amazon Firestick.

I had low expectations for this movie but it really wasn't all that bad. A little disappointed with the performance by the guy who played Zodiac though. He wasn't a very good actor. The concept of the movie is what I liked the most. The storyline was kind of cool. The acting was so-so. Overall I think it was better than expected but still not great. I would recommend it though.

So I can watch for free with amazonfiretv. Ill have to check it out
Zresearch

Postby Zresearch » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:07 am

ophion1031 wrote:The worst one is Curse of the Zodiac. That movie was just flat out bad. I will have to watch the 2005 movie again, haven't seen it in a long time.

On amazon there are a few zodiac films, I started "san franpsycho" but stopped after a few minutes, I think I may have started one of the others...

Any way, it has been a while since I have watched zodiac films on amazon, maybe a review is in order.
Zresearch

Postby ophion1031 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:28 pm

Zresearch wrote:
ophion1031 wrote:The worst one is Curse of the Zodiac. That movie was just flat out bad. I will have to watch the 2005 movie again, haven't seen it in a long time.

On amazon there are a few zodiac films, I started "san franpsycho" but stopped after a few minutes, I think I may have started one of the others...

Any way, it has been a while since I have watched zodiac films on amazon, maybe a review is in order.

Wasn't San Franpsycho about a Zodiac copycat? I can't even remember if I watched the movie or not.

ps, love the Misfits avatar!!
Dropping bodies in their graves.
ophion1031

Postby duckking2001 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:01 am

I so wanted to post a screencap of that scene from Parks and Recreation where Leslie wants to preserve the video rental store as a place of historical and artistic importance and that dude says, "You know that you can just download every movie off the internet, right?"

But trying to use search terms to come up with that was impossible.
duckking2001

Postby doranchak » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:45 am

duckking2001 wrote:I so wanted to post a screencap of that scene from Parks and Recreation where Leslie wants to preserve the video rental store as a place of historical and artistic importance and that dude says, "You know that you can just download every movie off the internet, right?"

But trying to use search terms to come up with that was impossible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7U5Lz6whyo

doranchak

Postby Zresearch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:46 am

ophion1031 wrote:
Zresearch wrote:

Wasn't San Franpsycho about a Zodiac copycat? I can't even remember if I watched the movie or not.

ps, love the Misfits avatar!!

Hmm... I am not sure as I only watched the first few minutes of "san franpsycho", I liked the name, it's actually a term you will hear people use to refer to the city, that and "there's nothing but love on the haight" are pretty common sayings out there, so I figured the movie would be ok. But I remember being unimpressed with the film and stopping it.

I love the misfits, specially everything before Glen left the band. I mean, Mike graves made some pretty good music with Jerry and Doyle (and chud on drums) calling the band the "misfits", but in my mind the "real" misfits have Glen as their front man.

However, the avatar was actually chosen because of "the crimson ghost"

The crimson ghost was a 1946 film series that was re-released on television in the 1950s. The villain, the crimson ghost, is determined to steal a counter atomic device known as Cyclotrode X, which can short out the worlds electrical devices.

I love the crimson ghost films, even before I discovered the music of the misfits.

So while the avatar was a tribute to the crimson ghost, my all time favorite villain, it also serves as a "misfits" avatar.

Below is a picture from the films:
images (15).jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zresearch

Postby ophion1031 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:09 am

I smoked weed with Graves and Chud after I saw them in concert in Milwaukee, WI in 2000. Jerry hung out with me and my friends for a couple after the show. Very cool guy. Doyle was a dick... Glen-era Misfits are amazing, but I did like the American Psycho album with Graves. A lot of their song titles, and even the name the Misfits, were taken from old movies.
Dropping bodies in their graves.
ophion1031

Postby Zresearch » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:51 am

ophion1031 wrote:I smoked weed with Graves and Chud after I saw them in concert in Milwaukee, WI in 2000. Jerry hung out with me and my friends for a couple after the show. Very cool guy. Doyle was a dick... Glen-era Misfits are amazing, but I did like the American Psycho album with Graves. A lot of their song titles, and even the name the Misfits, were taken from old movies.

Yeah, I believe the misfits were one of the founders of "horror-core". Almost all of the misfits songs, old and new, are based off of old horror films.

Last time I saw the misfits it was jerry on bass, Doyle on guitar, and Marky Ramone on drums. Though I have seen them with Mike graves a few times, and it was a killer show.

I agree, "American psycho" was great, so was "famous monsters", I loved those albums, it's just not the "real" misfits to me, still, good music.

Its been a while since I have been into that style of music, I am more into jam, reggae, and psychedelic music these days, but I still enjoy favorites from my youth such as the misfits.

On the "American psycho" album the misfits released a song about my favorite villain, "the crimson ghost"
I know your every move behind this face
I have control over expendable slaves
When confrontation comes down to the wire
I'll use my cyclotrode and commence the fire

You're never gonna get me.

Being followed, I get quick to the chase
I take my cyclotrode right out of the case
Atomic force electrocutes your motor
Leaving dead in flames
I always escape
You're never gonna get me
I'm the crimson ghost
-misfits

I love it, it is even true to the 1945 crimson ghost plot.

Its funny how I have always liked the villains better than the heros.

The hero is generally fighting to preserve the world as it is, while the villains generally have dreams for a new or improved world.

Look at Pamela Lillian Isley (poison ivy) from batman, she sees how humans are harming nature, and had a plan to allow nature to retake the planet. Not a bad vision in my mind.

Or look at doctor Jonathan crane (scarecrow), doctor crane had an aerosol psychedelic that he had placed in Gotham water supply, and had obtained a device that would instantly convert the water to steam, allowing his psychedelic to enter the systems of everybody in Gotham. He reminds me of an evil version of tim leary or Nick sand.

...then you have batman, whose only power is being rich enough to afford a bunch of high tech gadgets. Batman wants to preserve the status quo, he wants to maintain "business as usual", he is fighting to protect the system as it stands.

Any way, the crimson ghost is my all time favorite villain, from the original 1946 series to the 1966s edited down "Cyclotrode "X" television series...
Zresearch

Previous

Return to Zodiac Movies