AZdecrypt WinGUI

Re: AZdecrypt WinGUI

Postby Jarlve » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:09 am

Largo wrote:I just run a very, very long test with many permutations with AZDecrypt. The batchfiles I create are averaging 230 MB and contain between 0,5 and one million ciphers. I haven't noticed any problems so far, but I wanted to ask: Is this recommended or do you suggest a maximum size?

No worries about maximum size since AZdecrypt does not keep the whole file in memory.

If you want to trim the output a bit, under options, solver, you can set (General) Output scores over: to 20500 or so. Then AZdecrypt will only output the ciphers that scored over 20500. Another option is to set (General) Output to batch: to 1. Then AZdecrypt will output all ciphers in a single file. These options can be combined.

Largo wrote:By the way, if you find some time: May you implement an automatic PC shutdown as soon as a batch file has been run through? I leave the PC on overnight, but it doesn't have to run until morning. This would make sure that not so many polar bears melt and it also saves electricity;)

I am not sure if a program is allowed such access.
Jarlve

Postby Largo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:19 am

Thank you very much for the explanation!

Shutdown should work by calling a shell-command. I have no free basic compiler installed (you are using freebasic, right?) but this may work:

Code: Select all
SHELL ("SHUTDOWN /s /t 10 " )

10 means 10 seconds.
Largo

Postby Jarlve » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:25 pm

Largo wrote:Thank you very much for the explanation!

Shutdown should work by calling a shell-command. I have no free basic compiler installed (you are using freebasic, right?) but this may work:

Code: Select all
SHELL ("SHUTDOWN /s /t 10 " )

10 means 10 seconds.

Thank you for the tip. I should be able to include the shutdown feature for the next release.
Jarlve

Postby Jarlve » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:30 pm

A new AZdecrypt update (1.09) has been added to the main page.

What is new?

- Slightly improved substitution solver.
- Batch ciphers (substitution) is faster when processing ciphers with a reasonably low number of iterations and restarts.
- The vigenère solver can be set to solve by rows under the options, solver menu by changing by columns to 0.
- Fixed a bug where the 7-gram substitution solver was erroneously linked to a polyalphabetic solver.
- Fixed a bug with the 6-gram vigenère solver.
- Added some stats and various other bugfixes.

Largo, I just realized I forgot about your shutdown feature.
Jarlve

Postby Largo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:25 pm

Thank you very much for the update Jarlve! I especially like the faster batch solver.

Jarlve wrote:Largo, I just realized I forgot about your shutdown feature.

Never mind, thank you for considering implementing this feature!
Largo

Postby Jarlve » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:50 am

Largo wrote:Thank you very much for the update Jarlve! I especially like the faster batch solver.

Jarlve wrote:Largo, I just realized I forgot about your shutdown feature.

Never mind, thank you for considering implementing this feature!

I have added the feature and it works on my machine. You can find it under options, solver or in the settings.ini file as "(Batch ciphers & ngrams) Shutdown computer after task completion". Set it to 1 to activate it.

AZdecrypt 1.091 executable: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EtJ_W ... Xoh9XJ8CYI
Jarlve

Postby Largo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:57 am

Thank you very much Jarlve! The feature works great. Now I can run a long test without having to worry that the computer runs all night long!
Largo

Postby Jarlve » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:29 am

Largo wrote:Thank you very much Jarlve! The feature works great. Now I can run a long test without having to worry that the computer runs all night long!

No problem, it is your addition.

May I ask, at what settings do you run these tests? Iterations, restarts, ngrams, threads? And what CPU are you using along with the MIPS (million instructions per second) that AZdecrypt gets. I am thinking of a new PC, for a long time now, but not sure if it is worth it yet (2010-2017 stagnation). Also, there are rumours that the consumer Ryzen 2 will have 12 cores @ 5.1ghz: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/60100/am ... index.html
Jarlve

Postby Largo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:52 am

Jarlve wrote:May I ask, at what settings do you run these tests? Iterations, restarts, ngrams, threads? And what CPU are you using along with the MIPS (million instructions per second) that AZdecrypt gets. I am thinking of a new PC, for a long time now, but not sure if it is worth it yet (2010-2017 stagnation). Also, there are rumours that the consumer Ryzen 2 will have 12 cores @ 5.1ghz: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/60100/am ... index.html

I've been thinking about buying a new PC for some time too. Just like you, I'm still waiting.
At the moment I have a relatively weak system with an Intel core i5-3570 4x3.4GHz. The tests I am currently running are using the default settings of AZDecrypt and 4 threads. You have chosen the default settings very well, because even if a run does not immediately lead to the result, you can still see a tendency by means of a slightly higher scoring. So I run the batch solver for large batch files and look at all results that exceeds 20800 points separately. This may not be the safest method, but I will stick to it for now. As soon as the test is complete, I'll post again in a separate thread. Occasionally I interrupt the test series because I try another idea. So it may take a while yet.

I would like to have much more time for working on z340 and some tools. It would be so cool to have your solver open source and platform independent and/or GPU supported. Do you remember my proof-of-concept solver for monoalphabetic substitutions? This is of course no comparison to your powerful AZDecrypt, but it runs on macOS, Linux (+ Raspberry PI) and Windows. The advantage is that it builds up a network and you can share all the resources of your local IT. I have 4 Raspberry PI standing around, which are slow but together have a total of 13 cores (1x Raspi 1, 2x Raspi 2, 1x Raspi 3). If you keep dreaming about it, you'll end up with a kind of "Zodiac@Home" (spooky name, I know...), which works exactly like Seti@Home. =)
Last edited by Largo on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Largo

Postby doranchak » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:58 am

It would be so nice to have something like that for my home network since I have four laptops and two desktop computers (almost three if I cobble together parts). Most of the time they aren't working on anything! Lazy machines!
doranchak

PreviousNext

Return to Zodiac Cipher Mailings & Discussion