July 31, 1969 Letter - Post 1

Discussion of the confirmed Zodiac letters

Re: July 31, 1969 Letter - Post 1

Postby Mr lowe » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:55 pm

this is from wiki
Column inch
Terminology[edit]
In the newspaper industry, ad and newsroom staffers will refer to an advertisement's size by saying "it's a (column width) by (inch height) ad," replacing the words in parentheses () with a single figure. This can be confusing because it refers to two distinct measurements as if they were measured with the same unit. Normally one would think a 3 by 6 advertisement would be 3 inches wide by 6 inches high — but in reality it's actually about 5.5 inches wide by 6 inches high. In writing, an "×" is usually used to separate the two figures. Whether written or spoken, most, if not all, newspaper professionals understand the first figure is the column width and the second figure is the inch height.

my company for years paid extortionist amounts of money to advertise in papers . how times have changed

hope this helps.
A killer we sort stood there among the dead
Mr lowe

Postby murray » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:50 am

Note:

Something is wrong with the formatting when transfering from word to post. The section where I discuss the font and size is not coming out like it should be.

Soze

Just chiming in here, having some background in newspapers and specifically typesetting: I think it is worth noting that newspaper column copy was typically justified -- made to line up on both the right and the left. The kerning is adjusted on each line to allow this, with a minimum set for the hyphenation. That often caused certain lines of copy to track out with a great deal of space, and others to be tightly kerned. That feature makes it difficult to compare its character and line counts to other methods of scribing (handwriting, typewriting, etc.) It is possible that you covered this, but I did not see it specifically so thought I'd mention. Lots of good detail here, in terms of investigating.
murray

Postby Soze » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:12 pm

Trav,

I am sorry. I see now that what I'm about to say should have already been said in my post. I think the reason why it wasn't was because I had planned to write post after post after post until I was done. I didn't intend for there to be this long period of inactivity. I knew that there could be questions or comments. I was fine with that and welcome it actually. But, again, I expected posting repeatedly and knew that those posts may clear up any questions or comments that could come. I hope you understand.

The thing is Trav, I don't believe I intend to follow through on any other letter beyond the July 31, 1969 letter in terms of the typesetting/typography. I know. It makes sense to consider all of the letters in light of this topic as you have done. You raise valid points and definitely things to consider when reviewing the letters thereafter. But the Zodiac isn't a stupid man. He is not going to consistently use or perhaps I should say, over use, an item that would raise suspension. Meaning, if he did write 3 letters for direct print, he won't do the same thing with each letter thereafter. It would be too much in my opinion. Following what I am saying?

Soze
Soze

Postby Soze » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:22 pm

Mr lowe wrote:this is from wiki
Column inch
Terminology[edit]
In the newspaper industry, ad and newsroom staffers will refer to an advertisement's size by saying "it's a (column width) by (inch height) ad," replacing the words in parentheses () with a single figure. This can be confusing because it refers to two distinct measurements as if they were measured with the same unit. Normally one would think a 3 by 6 advertisement would be 3 inches wide by 6 inches high — but in reality it's actually about 5.5 inches wide by 6 inches high. In writing, an "×" is usually used to separate the two figures. Whether written or spoken, most, if not all, newspaper professionals understand the first figure is the column width and the second figure is the inch height.

my company for years paid extortionist amounts of money to advertise in papers . how times have changed

hope this helps.

I appreciate your offer of help. Thank you Mr. Lowe. However, I was aware of the information you provided. I had issues with the information when I first came across it but only in how to make the calculations for a tabloid paper (the Examiner). Now that I know the Examiner is not a tabloid......

Soze
Soze

Previous

Return to Confirmed Zodiac Letters General Discussion