Electric Gun Sight

Discussion of the confirmed Zodiac letters

Electric Gun Sight

Postby Soze » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:01 am

I was looking into nautical miles and minute of arc this evening. Saw a reference to gun sights and thought about the electric gun sight referenced by the Zodiac. So I did a search on electric guns sights with the inclusion of minute of arc and found reflector sight. Reflector sights were used on guns, surveying equipment, optical telescope pointing aids, and camera viewfinders to name a few. Never saw the reference before so I thought I would post it here.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflector_sight

Soze
Soze

Re: Electric Gun Sight

Postby UKSpycatcher » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:51 am

UKSpycatcher

Postby Soze » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:23 am

Actually its about what I meant. Thought of the light being on top of the gun with the reflector on the front sight. Wondered how the hook up would be so was glad to see the patent. Thank you for providing both. You saved me a lot of time looking it up. Was that your post I saw? If so what are your thoughts regarding a reflector or something like it (maybe used like a peep) possibly being on the front sight? Would seem based on what iI read and having looked back over the August 1969 letter that, the Zodiac, may not have been that knowledgeable in shooting a gun and that his front sights were perhaps off.

Soze
Last edited by Soze on Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soze

Postby Soze » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:27 am

Oh, and by the way, would it not have been incorrect for the zodiac to have said that the bullet would hit directly in the center of the black dot? Isn't there some form of compensation that needs to be made in an up down fashion given placement of the light?

Sorry. I don't know anything about guns.

Soze
Soze

Postby UKSpycatcher » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:53 pm

No not my post. From the little I know about guns (not being an American) :? I believe it would likely strike in the lower portion of the black circle, no compensation required at reasonable distances. As for a reflector :?: no idea. Sorry Soze.
UKSpycatcher

Postby Soze » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:31 pm

UKSpycatcher wrote:No not my post. From the little I know about guns (not being an American) :? I believe it would likely strike in the lower portion of the black circle, no compensation required at reasonable distances. As for a reflector :?: no idea. Sorry Soze.

Oh my. Duh. I knew better about the guns. Sorry. But yeah, I was kinda thinking he didn't know what he was talking about when the Zodiac said it would strike in the center. Thanks anyway about the reflector.

Soze
Soze

Postby Tahoe27 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:12 pm

Watching "The Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas" (1957) and the guys have flashlights taped to their guns. :)

"...they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs--other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac's doorstep." L.A. Times, 1969
Tahoe27

Return to Confirmed Zodiac Letters General Discussion