STAMPS on Confirmed Letters

Discussion of the confirmed Zodiac letters

Re: STAMPS on Confirmed Letters

Postby traveller1st » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:44 pm

Yeah, I think if he had we wouldn't be here trying to find him.
"I don’t know Chief, he’s very smart or very dumb."
traveller1st

Postby murray » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:28 am

traveller1st wrote:Yeah, I think if he had we wouldn't be here trying to find him.

Right, I think most of us agree that Z was pretty controlled/controlling in his activities. Asking someone to mail the letters introduces a lot of "what-ifs," which I doubt he was comfortable with.

Traveller1st -- can you tell, from that nice piece of art you did, whether the stamps are perfed on two sides only, or all four sides, consistently? I'm sure it's hard with the multiple generations of copying, I can't see a thing when I look.
murray

Postby masootz » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:34 am

murray wrote:
traveller1st wrote:Yeah, I think if he had we wouldn't be here trying to find him.

Right, I think most of us agree that Z was pretty controlled/controlling in his activities. Asking someone to mail the letters introduces a lot of "what-ifs," which I doubt he was comfortable with.

Traveller1st -- can you tell, from that nice piece of art you did, whether the stamps are perfed on two sides only, or all four sides, consistently? I'm sure it's hard with the multiple generations of copying, I can't see a thing when I look.

i can't see much of anything either. there are a few where it looks like you can see the perf at the top/bottom but that could just be me seeing things.
masootz

Postby traveller1st » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:35 am

I don't know about consistently but there appears to be more evidence to suggest that they were mostly likely either from book or singles. I'm thinking books is the most probable.

Here's a few examples that I feel show this. The Belli one is a no-brainer as it's a 'cluster' like the example Up2 posted earlier but the others I've picked here show perforations on edges other than the adjoining one indicating they were from a book, I believe.

stampedges.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I don’t know Chief, he’s very smart or very dumb."
traveller1st

Postby masootz » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:42 am

his penchant for posting multiples together also leads me to believe they're from a book. it would take a lot more effort than he shows elsewhere to stick four stamps separately in alignment, versus taking four off of a book page and pasting them as one block. even on the envelopes where the stamps are at an angle, multiples are always at the same angle.
Last edited by masootz on Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
masootz

Postby smithy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:15 am

Bought from vending machines in a book, pasted in as multiples. I like.
Interesting that the MO with the stamps can be directly related between '66 and later letters. I like that.
smithy

Postby texas21 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:08 pm

Actually I think the book theory is accurate. The one cent Jefferson stamps he used were the ones sold in combination with the Franklin D. Roosevelt stamps in a book.
texas21

Previous

Return to Confirmed Zodiac Letters General Discussion