Spelling corrections

Discussion of the confirmed Zodiac letters

Re: Spelling corrections

Postby Norse » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:38 am

And then there's the "little list" with the following...well, whatever they are:

"...implore you with im platt"; "phomphit" and "impriest".

Which don't make sense on any level if we're assuming that Z is misspelling deliberately. They don't make sense as personal jokes either.

The only thing which does make sense is that Z has simply misheard what's being sung - and written it down in this fashion. Which is, in my opinion, quite telling. As I've argued before, there are three possibilities here:

1. In Z's mind these meaningless words had some meaning. In which case he was more nuts than some think. Or - a possibility brought up by murray a while ago in another thread - he was influenced by something when he prepared the letter.

2. He was gambling - for lack of a better term - on the words meaning something beyond his knowledge, i.e. being technical terms of some kind, perhaps, or jargon of some kind, or belonging to some sort of nomenclature he was unfamiliar with. In which case...yes - what? He arguably wasn't a highly educated man - I think that's fair to say.

3. He KNEW that he wasn't making any sense. He didn't understand what was being sung, but he just went on and wrote it down as he heard it regardless. In which case...yes, again, what?

I'm becoming more and more open to the possibility that Z was stoned, drunk or on some kind of medication when he composed his missives. Or at least some of his missives. The ciphers are seemingly too neatly done (not to mention that at least the 408 did make sense, with the odd mistake here and there) to have been prepared by someone who was totally out of it - but then again the effects of either drugs (legal and illegal) or alcohol influence people very differently. It's not unthinkable that someone under the influence (even heavily) could have prepared those letters, in spite of them being coherent enough.
Norse

Postby up2something » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:35 am

I think he misheard them and spelled them phonetically as best he could. The correct lyrics are posted here somewhere, but I kinda remember "implore you with im platt" = "and floor you with them flat" and "phomphit" = "puff it"
up2something

Postby Norse » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:21 pm

up2something wrote:I think he misheard them and spelled them phonetically as best he could. The correct lyrics are posted here somewhere, but I kinda remember "implore you with im platt" = "and floor you with them flat" and "phomphit" = "puff it"

Yep, both the standard version and the Groucho Marx version (which is in all likelihood what Z based his letter on) are posted here.

And, yes - I think that's precisely what he did: He misheard them and spelled them as best he could.

And what he ended up writing was nonsense. Mishearing lyrics and writing them down as something else is one thing. That's the "Purple Haze" syndrome (the Hendrix song): "Excuse me while I kiss the sky" becomes "Excuse me while I kiss this guy". The latter phrase is wrong - but it makes sense. What Z did was something else entirely. He misheard the lyrics and wrote them down as complete nonsense.

And that says something about him - or so I think. It says something about the state and/or status of the man. Because this thing can't possibly be explained away as a ruse of some kind. Or so I think.
Norse

Postby Tahoe27 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:18 pm

Seems like I recall reading about purposely making spelling errors if you are trying to disguise your handwriting. Might help veer away from your natural tendencies?

"...they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs--other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac's doorstep." L.A. Times, 1969
Tahoe27

Postby Norse » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:13 pm

Tahoe27 wrote:Seems like I recall reading about purposely making spelling errors if you are trying to disguise your handwriting. Might help veer away from your natural tendencies?

Certainly. Generally, I accept that. But the Mikado stuff simply doesn't fall into that category. There's no way the examples above can be categorized as "spelling mistakes" in any shape or form. They are clearly something else.
Norse

Postby Tahoe27 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:30 pm

Norse wrote:
Tahoe27 wrote:Seems like I recall reading about purposely making spelling errors if you are trying to disguise your handwriting. Might help veer away from your natural tendencies?

Certainly. Generally, I accept that. But the Mikado stuff simply doesn't fall into that category. There's no way the examples above can be categorized as "spelling mistakes" in any shape or form. They are clearly something else.

Agreed.

"...they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs--other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac's doorstep." L.A. Times, 1969
Tahoe27

Postby Coffee Time » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:41 pm

"IMPRIEST" in a book from 1598

For those who can't view attachments: the book is "A Worlde of Wordes" by John Florio & the full text is available on Google Books
http://books.google.com/books/about/A_W ... bX1NQXNzsC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coffee Time

Previous

Return to Confirmed Zodiac Letters General Discussion