Richard Hoffman

Discussion of all misc. Zodiac suspects & POI's

Re: Richard Hoffman

Postby margie » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:30 pm

Thank you Richard Grinell .... I guess that solves it then. :)
margie

Postby DoctorS » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:11 am

I follow Tahoe's comments. As the responding Officer Hoffman would have touched both victims to look for a pulse. Then he may have got Mike's wallet to ID him. So Mike is shot by Hoffman, who hangs around to help with the crime scene investigation, hanging around right in front of Mageau, who doesn't say a word to the other cops? And then Hoffman calls dispatch to taunt the police and the dispatcher, who works with Hoffman all the time, doesn't recognize his voice. Hoffman seems to have a deep and raspy voice, which differs from Hartnell's description of the attacker's voice. Never heard that Darlene dated Hoffman, either. And then there's your witnesss, Mageau. I have watched "This is the Zodiac Speaking" several times. If I was a prosecutor there is no way I would place any credibility on what Mageau says. He sounds drunk on the video and, if I remember correctly, says it took nine hours for the police to get to the scene. He has changed his story over the years about whether Zodiac wore glasses or not. He seems to have some mental health issues and I just can't rely on what he says.

I'm thinking some of the inconsistencies are just related to policework. Don't know how commons murders were in Vallejo back then but I am inclined to think that the crime scene was a cluster mess. What I know from my job is that the truth is seldom tidy, neat and unequivocal. If Hoffman's notes were too precise and orderly, that would be a red flag to me. It's an interesting theory and I can see how on the surface it is intriguing. Obviously some funky things were going on with the Vallejo PD at that time. I'd note that an officer rode with David Farady's body to the hospital too, just in case he could make a statement. Doesn't mean that cop was the Zodiac.
DoctorS

Postby Tahoe27 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:37 am

Definitely some bizarre scenarios there. Never heard of someone (Hoffman) outlining a live body.

Hoffman saying Darlene was "very much dead" at the scene. When he arrived her head was rested on the door, but when Lynch arrived she was slumped over the steering wheel. First aid by Clark possibly.

DoctorS...the BRS phone caller had a different voice..."mature" according to Nancy Slover. Obviously though, if Hoffman was still with Darlene, it couldn't have been him. Just weird stuff going on that night. Inexperience and mayhem, for sure.

"...they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs--other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac's doorstep." L.A. Times, 1969
Tahoe27

Postby DoctorS » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:22 am

How old would Hoffman have been in 1968? He may not have sounded mature either. No argument that the whole situation was strange.
DoctorS

Postby Theforeigner » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:57 pm

DoctorS wrote:How old would Hoffman have been in 1968? He may not have sounded mature either. No argument that the whole situation was strange.

Richard L Hoffman was born Sept 5, 1938.
So in 1968 he would have been 30 years old.
Hi, english is not my first language so please bear with me :)
Theforeigner

Postby Zresearch » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:01 am

Tahoe, the car you posted still looks similar to the one which I had posted, both fit Mike's description, he said the car was similar to a Ford mustang or the car the he and Darlene were in, both fit an unmarked cars description.

Officer Hoffman was the height and weight of the zodiac, with similar hair.
jabons2_d (1).jpg

That's Hoffman on the left. Looks like the description of zodiac without the glasses. Mike in the "this is the zodiac speaking" documentary again, describes Hoffman perfectly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zresearch

Postby Zresearch » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:12 am

Tahoe27 wrote:Definitely some bizarre scenarios there. Never heard of someone (Hoffman) outlining a live body.

Hoffman saying Darlene was "very much dead" at the scene. When he arrived her head was rested on the door, but when Lynch arrived she was slumped over the steering wheel. First aid by Clark possibly.

DoctorS...the BRS phone caller had a different voice..."mature" according to Nancy Slover. Obviously though, if Hoffman was still with Darlene, it couldn't have been him. Just weird stuff going on that night. Inexperience and mayhem, for sure.

Another strange note about the scene, Mike said when Darlene had stopped the car that she turned the lights off, when Hoffman and eventually others arrived the cars head lights were on. (It was speculated that Darlene was flashing the lights for help)

As for the call, Check the times, I thought The calls were made after Hoffman had left Darlene...

Why did Hoffman outline Mike when he was alive?

Like you mentioned, why did Hoffman claim Darlene was long dead when she was still living?

Mike says Darlene mentions "richard" in connection to them being followed, and a man named RICHARD, who as a police officer would have had a similar unmarked car, a flashlight, and a 9mm, already on his person just happened to be at the scene before and after the murder. He alters the scene! He touches bodies, he removes shell casings...

Officer Hoffman was in a fist fight with another ex-Vallejo cop named Buzz gordon, both of who were said to have been dating Darlene, then it is claimed that Hoffman is at the painting party...

I can't say Hoffman is zodiac, but jeez! Should he have not at least been thoroughly investigated in Darlene's murder?
Last edited by Zresearch on Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zresearch

Postby Zresearch » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:16 am

Pettibon Junction wrote:I always figured Mike's "Richard who definitely wore glasses" story was a direct result of the Zodiac zeitgeist promoting the heck out of Richard Gaikowski back around the time the Fincher film and accompanying documentary came out. Besides, Mike was interviewed by Vallejo police while he was recovering from his wounds. Had Hoffman been his attacker, isn't it safe to assume that would have been the end of it?

No, because Mike did not know richard Hoffman and had a light in his eyes When he was shot.

Plus he was scared, he skipped town after, if he even had the slightest suspicion that a cop had tried to I'll him you figure he would keep quiet and skip town.
Last edited by Zresearch on Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zresearch

Postby Zresearch » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:20 am

Zresearch wrote:
Pettibon Junction wrote:I always figured Mike's "Richard who definitely wore glasses" story was a direct result of the Zodiac zeitgeist promoting the heck out of Richard Gaikowski back around the time the Fincher film and accompanying documentary came out. Besides, Mike was interviewed by Vallejo police while he was recovering from his wounds. Had Hoffman been his attacker, isn't it safe to assume that would have been the end of it?

No, because Mike did not know richard Hoffman and had a let ight n his eyes When he was shot.

Plus he was scared, he skipped town after, if he even had the slightest suspicion that a cop had tried to I'll him you figure he would keep quiet and skip town.

I doubt the richard comment had anything to do with "gyke"

Watch Mike (in the "this is the zodiac speaking" documentary) when he starts taking about what Darlene told him, specially when he mentions RICHARD, he gets tense, he raises his arms over his head, he is having a miniature panic attack, or at least some heavy adrenalin just mentioning these things.

I think the original speculation that as soon as he got better he skipped town because "he wanted nothing to do with it" was accurate.
Zresearch

Postby Zresearch » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:26 am

By the way, in the "this is the zodiac speaking" documentary Mike never mentions glasses, he says that they had been "chased all over town", that when he asked Darlene said "he is just jealous" and "he will kill us both" then he said "she mentioned richard"

Thats it.

And when he says it he is having some very real physical reactions, this is not a fabrication of his memory set n place by pop culture theories, he is going through some serious tension just mentioning these facts.

When asked why he left it out of the police report initially he says "I don't know why I did not say anything"

I think I know why, he was scared, and he wanted nothing to do with the situation.

Mike never seemed very determined to catch the man who shot him, and honestly I think he knows more than he has ever said.
Zresearch

PreviousNext

Return to All other Zodiac Suspects & POI's