The Watch

Re: The Watch

Postby Richard Grinell » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:06 pm

Here is a magnified image of the alleyway Timex.

Richard Grinell

Postby sandy betts » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:19 pm

Thanks, that is the best picture I have seen of the watch. Apparently the time 9:07 on the watch was when that picture was taken. Other pictures show later times.
The idea that the circumference of the watch being only 7 inches, indicates a smaller man than someone say like Art Allen. I wonder if that could be part of the reason that RPD didn't think Zodiac could be the killer? I will always believe that the Lake B crime changed the course of the investigation in the wrong direction.

That was the main reason VPD walked away from looking more into Jim Phillips. They felt he was too short to be the Zodiac who was now believed to be a huge person weighing over 200 pounds and possibly being 6ft or better.

There were more witnesses who saw Zodiac, that said he was closer to 5 ft 8 or 5ft 9. The hood made Zodiac look about 3 to 4 inches taller than he really was. It was more stiff than cotton cloth and sat on his shoulders, you can see just how it looked by the copy I made and wore. It was made to look as if it was all one piece, but it wasn't. Bryan even mentioned that he was able to see the killers jacket collar, that would be impossible if it were actually one solid piece. Bryan mentioned the bottom half as a dicky. Most of you are too young to know what a dicky is. It is something that goes over the head and covers shoulders and comes down the chest . I call the bottom half a poncho, most of you know what that looks like. I am getting off topic from the size of the watch,sorry.
sandy betts

Postby Bayarea60s » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:55 am

Has to be DNA on that watch. I'm sure by now someone has tested it.
Bayarea60s

Postby monarch » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:58 pm

Bayarea60s wrote:Has to be DNA on that watch. I'm sure by now someone has tested it.

Yes, that old worn out leather watch band must be loaded with DNA !
monarch

Postby Bayarea60s » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:25 pm

monarch wrote:
Bayarea60s wrote:Has to be DNA on that watch. I'm sure by now someone has tested it.

Yes, that old worn out leather watch band must be loaded with DNA !

Believe it or not, if there is, and it can be extracted.....
Bayarea60s

Postby Dag MacLugh » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:22 pm

Let me repeat my question: according to RPD, their suspect had, shortly before Bates' murder, been painting a house (or shed) which may explain the paint spatters on the watch. Does anyone know if RPD matched the paint splatters on the watch with the paint on the house (or shed)?
Dag MacLugh

Postby monarch » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:09 pm

Dag MacLugh wrote:Let me repeat my question: according to RPD, their suspect had, shortly before Bates' murder, been painting a house (or shed) which may explain the paint spatters on the watch. Does anyone know if RPD matched the paint splatters on the watch with the paint on the house (or shed)?

As we all know RPD is very tight lipped and won't say much about anything, so who knows if they had the foresight to collect a sample of BBs house/shed paint.

Interestingly I read something about the EAR/ONS serial killer case in which forensics was able to match paint at one of the crime
scenes with paint at a nearby strip mall that was under construction at the time of the attack in the 1970s.
monarch

Previous

Return to Cheri Jo Bates 10/30/66