Tom Voigt news

General Discussion of the case history and details.

Re: Tom Voigt news

Postby TomVoigt » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:44 pm

Coffee Time wrote:These particular tests were requested by VPD in 2007. SFPD had to reopen the case in order for VPD to access the materials.

Maloney's dramatic flair aside, the case was inactive in San Francisco but that never stopped evidence from being tested. The DOJ acquired all three letters in an attempt to get DNA to compare to "Sam." No luck, so they used what they had from the earlier Holt testing. Unfortunately that came from the outside of a stamp.

Testing done in the late 1990s by Repetto and his partner used DNA taken from the 1978 letter.
TomVoigt

Postby Coffee Time » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:15 pm

Thanks for the clarification.

In other words, the state crime lab couldn't replicate Holt's results, which (I would think) is not a strong argument in favor of the Holt DNA.
Coffee Time

Postby TomVoigt » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:31 pm

I believe the DOJ only tested under the stamps and flaps, not the outside where Holt got her hit.
TomVoigt

Postby Coffee Time » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:27 pm

Reading the report again (had to dig around, since the original link is AWOL), I think that is likely what happened.

The lab sampled the envelope and two of the four stamps from "MM-3" (Times-Herald letter; IIRC, the one that ABC showed), and that was enough for them to discontinue the analysis (no saliva).

So, if the DOJ had known that the SFPD DNA came from outside the seals, they probably wouldn't have bothered testing them in the first place.
Coffee Time

Postby TomVoigt » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:55 pm

Coffee Time wrote:So, if the DOJ had known that the SFPD DNA came from outside the seals, they probably wouldn't have bothered testing them in the first place.

It could still very well be Zodiac's DNA. Not that many male individuals had contact with the letter before it was recognized as evidence.
TomVoigt

Postby Coffee Time » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:20 pm

My recollection is that the ABC special prominently displays the envelopes for the July 31st/Z480 letters when they tout Holt's big "hit" (I paused the video to study them, but that was five or six months ago, and I've aged 350 years since then). And that these had been recently recovered from a retired detective.

There was a mention of something promising from the Pen card, but no follow-up. Stine had the hair on the stamp, but no DNA.

For what it's worth, the July 31st letters, 2nd VHT letter, Citizen & RP have no "custody" listed on the leaked checksheet (and SLA is not mentioned at all), and that checksheet predated Holt's work.
Coffee Time

Postby TomVoigt » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:38 am

Coffee Time wrote:For what it's worth, the July 31st letters, 2nd VHT letter, Citizen & RP have no "custody" listed on the leaked checksheet (and SLA is not mentioned at all), and that checksheet predated Holt's work.

What check sheet are you referring to?
TomVoigt

Previous

Return to Zodiac Case General Discussion