Questions

NEW TO THE ZODIAC CASE? ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE- Get your Zodiac questions answered here

Questions

Postby guild1995 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:12 pm

Was the lake berryessa stabbing Commited by the same man who killed stine? Did the same man also kill faraday and Jensen and ferrin ? Was the person who commited the crimes the same as the letter writer? Was this only one person? What do you all think? Was berryessa a copycat?
guild1995

Re: Questions

Postby Marshall » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:00 pm

There are many different views on these topics here. My personal belief is that Zodiac was responsible for Lake Herman Road, Blue Rock Springs, and Presidio Heights, and these are the ones he specifically took credit for in his letters. The MO is basically the same - Find victim(s), shoot, escape.

Lake Berryessa is a whole different thing. It involves that elaborate costume, was a knife attack, it's during daylight, and so on. The descriptions of the LB and PH attacker are considerably different, and both crime scenes had multiple eye witnesses. The letters do not claim credit for LB (only crimes in the "north bay area"), and the car door at LB does not list all the months of activity that the letter writer does (namely, AUG.)

Anyway, you can read through the related topics here and see many different opinions. I started out believing it was all the work of one guy, but gradually decided the notion they were different people made more sense. In fact I wouldn't exactly call the Berryessa killer a "copycat" because he really didn't copy much of Zodiac's MO at all - just the taunting on the car door. Other than that the crimes are quite different in almost all aspects.
Marshall

Postby guild1995 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:14 pm

Thank you for your answer. Zodiac did hint in writing that he may have stabbed hartnell and Sheppard as he said by rope by gun by knife. I am of the opinion that the guy was likely the one and the same
guild1995

Postby YourSecretPal » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:26 pm

That's unless Marshall, that you look at the Pre Zodiac suspected murders. It does match his MO if he was responsible the Domingos/Edwards murders as well, and the Swindle murders certainly match his MO.
YourSecretPal

Postby UKSpycatcher » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:43 pm

"Lake Berryessa is a whole different thing. It involves that elaborate costume, was a knife attack, it's during daylight, and so on. The descriptions of the LB and PH attacker are considerably different, and both crime scenes had multiple eye witnesses. The letters do not claim credit for LB (only crimes in the "north bay area"), and the car door at LB does not list all the months of activity that the letter writer does (namely, AUG.)"

Presidio Heights is a whole different thing, it involves removing part of a shirt, was a gun attack in the heart of the city, with streetlights, and so on. The descriptions of the LB and PH attacker are the difference between a haircut and dye, and both crime scenes had multiple eye witnesses. The letters do not claim credit for LB (apart from Sept in the Dripping Pen Card, which hasn't been attributed to any other crime of relevance), and the car door at LB does not list all the months of activity that the letter writer does (namely, AUG.) But lists all the crimes he knew we were aware of.

The point of this analogy, is that if the Zodiac hadn't mailed the piece of Stine shirt, we would have laughed at the suggestion this was a Zodiac crime during October, based on its complete departure from the first two crimes. Even after the Bus Bomb letter, many would have said Zodiac was claiming a crime he didn't commit. The shirt allied to the October 13th letter is the only thing that probably would have convinced us.
UKSpycatcher

Postby Tahoe27 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:22 am

Of course it doesn't shock most here who know me when I say I agree with Marshall. A costume, a knife, and daylight...a whole different scenario...and physical size and, apparently voice too. My thoughts have certainly been expressed enough elsewhere at this site. There are plenty of threads here guild1995, with some great thoughts and varied opinions.

"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple" - Dr. Suess
Tahoe27

Postby monarch » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:56 am

Wasn't it confirmed the handwriting on Hartnell's car was a match with Z's letters ?

It looks like a match to me.
monarch

Postby ophion1031 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:11 am

I personally think that there was originally one killer and a partner/friend writing the letters, and then a second killer (who became part of the "team" at some point) committed the Stine murder. If I had to guess, I would say that all three men on "team Zodiac" were at Lake Berryessa, hence the letter writer being there to write on Hartnell's door. One thing I wondered is if these three men were at the lake to "initiate the new guy." The new guy being Stine's killer, of course.
Dropping bodies in their graves.
ophion1031

Return to NEW TO THE ZODIAC CASE? ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE