Ross Sullivan

Ross Sullivan Discussion

Re: Ross Sullivan

Postby Paul_Averly » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:15 pm

bensmurfy wrote:Ok, got it. I have also wondered if anyone has learned specifically why his brother Tim supposedly suspected him. Seems like a big thing to suspect a sibling of, even an odd one like Ross, so I'm guessing there were some reasons?

Tim was in SF at the time of the Z crime spree. He would have at least been aware of it from the news. Then out of nowhere comes a major report that Zodiac had ties to the library Ross worked in and his own wife's best friend was a possible victim. Could you imagine what he must have thought hearing that report? He was possibly also aware that the letters stopped when Ross went away. Years later he probably put it all together.

bensmurfy wrote:I also haven't seen too much on here about Ross's access to cars. A little, but from what I've read he didn't have his own. So if he was he would have to had borrow the cars, which I would think would make the actual owners suspicious. Every time this Zodiac guy kill's someone Ross has to borrow my Impala.

Ross was reported to have owned a VW bug. (for those if you who think Ross was to big, he fit inside a VW!). My own theory on Ross owning a late model 66-67 Impala, but also worn out tires. Ross' father died in late 1968. Very possible Ross inherited his car, or split it with Tim.
Paul_Averly

Postby bensmurfy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:24 pm

Thanks, yes I recall reading about the VW, but that was it. I haven't seen anything about his dad's car, sorry if I missed that.

Regarding Tim, all of that makes sense, but still isn't very specific. Guessing Mr. Katz hasn't elaborated on that point.
bensmurfy

Postby ophion1031 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:38 pm

I can't remember if I ever posted this fun fact or not, but Sullivan's address in Santa Cruz (the one where he lived with the Kennedy siblings) was 0.9 miles from Angelo's Rubber Stamp Shop. I know there was another place similar to this that sold "Zodiac stationary," but Angelo's Rubber Stamp Shop is somewhat interesting because it was owned by the brother of Tony Tola.

Take that for whatever it's worth.
Dropping bodies in their graves.
ophion1031

Postby Jacen5 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:04 pm

I was thinking about Zodiac and the different descriptions given by different witnesses. Hartnell describes a bigger guy. More in line with a Sullivan description. Fowlke describes a smaller man but more similar to younger Sullivan in the face. Mike Mageau seemed to see a normal size guy. Maybe Sullivan played with his weight to change his appearance. This may explain the time between the murders. If we know anything about Z, it is that he was not stupid. Ross could have used that time to lose a ton of weight, then gain it back after the murder was done. Maybe learned a lesson from Cheri Jo Bates and being sloppy. I notice many of the naysayers for RS being Z point, to weight being the issue. He didn't have to be overweight all the time. Just a thought. My honest opinion on Sullivan is the he is not Z. A large reason people like him for Z is the mental illness. Sociopath, Schizophrenia, BiPolar, and Depression is all the same to most folks. My theory has always been that Z is multiple people. A cultish type situation. Sorry for going OT.
Jacen5

Postby Marshall » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:13 pm

Jacen5 wrote:I was thinking about Zodiac and the different descriptions given by different witnesses. Hartnell describes a bigger guy. More in line with a Sullivan description. Fowlke describes a smaller man but more similar to younger Sullivan in the face. Mike Mageau seemed to see a normal size guy. Maybe Sullivan played with his weight to change his appearance. This may explain the time between the murders.

The biggest description of Z is at Lake Berryessa (9/27/1969) and the smallest description was at Presidio Heights (10/11/1969.) No way can a guy lose 40 pounds in two weeks without amputation.

This is one reason why I, for one, don't think the LB Zodiac and "Real Z" are the same guy. By the way, it is not the most compelling reason for my thinking that...
Marshall

Postby morf13 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:13 pm

To those of you that may have had a problem with Ross's height being 6ft2.....here's a piece from the DOJ report
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
morf13
Site Admin

Postby Quagmire » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:14 pm

A few things to bear in mind with that description though:

Hartnell did admit that being about 6'7" himself he was a useless judge of height.
Z was mostly standing uphill with Hartnell lying down.
Z was wearing a big tall black hat/hood

He does also mention 220lbs and brown hair. Wasn't Ross closer to 300lbs with blonde hair?

Not totally rubbishing the idea that Ross could have been Z but he would certainly be on the very outer edge if not off the scale when it comes to most of the witness descriptions.
Quagmire

Postby morf13 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:47 am

Quagmire wrote:A few things to bear in mind with that description though:

Hartnell did admit that being about 6'7" himself he was a useless judge of height.
Z was mostly standing uphill with Hartnell lying down.
Z was wearing a big tall black hat/hood

He does also mention 220lbs and brown hair. Wasn't Ross closer to 300lbs with blonde hair?

Not totally rubbishing the idea that Ross could have been Z but he would certainly be on the very outer edge if not off the scale when it comes to most of the witness descriptions.

Nobody knows Ross's weight in September,1969. The last witness I found from 1968, thought he was about 260, which on a solid 6ft2 man is not that fat. I was in the best shape of my life at 6ft tall at 230
morf13
Site Admin

Postby Dag MacLugh » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:40 pm

IMO, witness descriptions are suspect, especially those of victims. If someone pulled a gun/knife on me, I'd stare at the weapon, not my assailant's face/ height/weight.
Dag MacLugh

Postby Paul_Averly » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:03 pm

morf13 wrote:Nobody knows Ross's weight in September,1969. The last witness I found from 1968, thought he was about 260, which on a solid 6ft2 man is not that fat. I was in the best shape of my life at 6ft tall at 230

These points have been repeated, over and and over again and it will only be a few weeks before someone else chimes in with "I think he was to tall."

Simple fact is that Ross should not be eliminated as a suspect when he matches some of the descriptions.

Morf, maybe you should add some of this info to the locked Ross thread. Add the DOJ report and the video below. That way when someone chimes in with the usual we can just forward them to that section to review the case files.

Z Height and Weight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsSdjSywIhc

*The only physical evidence to Z's weight is from the Napa bootprint, and that evidence support the suspect being very heavy.
Paul_Averly

PreviousNext

Return to Ross Sullivan